This homeless accommodation facility in Canberra is in desperate need of some T.L.C.
This shelter needs your donations of linen, furniture, gardening and trade supplies to give the facility a facelift
A 24-hour crisis accommodation program and shelter in Canberra for men aged 18-65 needs your help. Residents of the 13-bed facility are provided with individual rooms, shared toilets, showers, laundry and kitchen facilities, food, computer, internet and telephone access, personal hygiene items, social support and case management services.
As a central hub for homeless men in the ACT, The main goal of this organisation is to help individuals access longer-term or permanent accommodation. Priority is given to the support of men with complex and multiple needs.
The shelter has an open-door policy. Vulnerable males can access the facility for tea, coffee, food, telephone and internet access and additional information without needing a referral.
Clients of the facility are struggling with many challenges including mental illness, loss of employment, overcoming substance addiction and abuse and much more. Creating shelters that facilitate health and growth is so important to these men finding work and stable housing.
What's needed most
After more than 25 years supporting vulnerable men with limited access to funding and resources, the building is extremely worn. Plans for the much-needed facelift include renovating the rooms to be a more calming and healthy place to sleep, creating an outdoor garden space for the men to participate in growing food and connect to nature, and updating the living spaces to make for a functional and healthy atmosphere.
Staff are seeking generous public donations of the following items:
- Seedlings for easy to grow vegetables and herbs
- Potting mix and topsoil (approx. 5 cubic metres)
- Concrete sleepers with metal supports for the veggie garden
- Various gardening tools needed to build a garden and maintain an outdoor space (i.e. spades and hand trowels, rakes, wheelbarrows, gardening forks, pruners, watering cans and gloves)
- Thermal lined curtains/blinds for communal spaces
- Paint for hallways (20 litres of Wash and Wear white)
- Paint for ceilings (50 litres of British paint White) and skirting boards and doors (15 litres of British paints high enamel gloss)
- Linoeleum flooring (13 rooms, room size approx. 3.5m x 3m, 30 litres floor adhesive)
- Small portable desks for 13 bedrooms
- Portable wardrobes for 13 bedrooms plus one communal living space
- Pillow cases
- Pillows (new only)
- King single mattress protectors
- King single quilts
The organisation is happy to pick up suitable donations from within a 20 kilometre radius of Hackett. Canberrans - that means you can donate these items via the links on this page, and the organisatino's staff will pick up these items from your home or business.
Don't have any of the items above? No worries! Donating money is a great way to help this organisation get what they need for this refurbishment. 100% of the money received by GIVIT for this project will be used to purchase items for the refurbishment. To donate, simply click here or on the donate funds button, then write 'Homeless shelter refurbishment' in the comments section of your donation.
Game on with the ACT Brumbies
It’s official! Plus500 Brumbies strengthens its partnership with GIVIT as their official charity partner for 2021. GIVIT and the Brumbies will be working together to help Australian families and communities in need.
Could this be Canberra's biggest Secret Santa?
GIVIT has partnered with Handmade Canberra for its contactless 2020 Christmas Appeal with a difference. Through Handmade Canberra's ‘A Very GIVIT Christmas’ directory, big-hearted donors can purchase gifts starting at $20 from an Australian small-business. These gifts will then be packaged up and sent, free of charge, to bushfire affected communities