UPDATE - THIS PROJECT IS NOW COMPLETE
This co-educational, residential secondary school for young people at risk of being disengaged from education needs your help
Requested donations include music equipment, exercise books, headphones and kickboards for swimming
Dunlea Centre (formerly known as Boys' Town Engadine) is a co-educational residential secondary program that caters for vulnerable young people who are at risk of family breakdown, disengagement from education, and entry into the care of the Minister of Youth Justice.
Dunlea Centre is an agency that reaches outside the school and into the family to help young people in need and restore family relationships.
The centre provides education, social skills development, counselling support and parenting classes. Dunlea Centre works with young people and their families to overcome severe disadvantages including mental health issues, trauma, domestic violence, long term unemployment issues and the challenges of disability.
This year Dunlea Centre is extending their educational program by offering Stage 6 classes to provide the HSC in a compressed format. Many additional items are needed to equip these young people with the educational resources required to achieve success in this new program.
Participation in these senior years of school will enable young people to develop their skills and knowledge and increase their productivity; which can lead to more employment opportunities and improved health and wellbeing outcomes.
Dunlea Centre is also currently working with young people to develop their music skills. The musical items requested will offer an improved educational program for young people studying Music, encourage its use as a recreational activity and as an outlet to help overcome mental health difficulties.
Similarly, all sporting goods requested will be used to encourage young people to have a more active lifestyle and encourage sport and physical exercise as an outlet for recreation and mental health benefits.
Below are the items requested by Dunlea Centre. Click here or on the button below to browse the full list:
The below items are required for music lessons and band practice.
- 2 x microphones for performance and recording ($165 each, available at www.storedj.com.au/shure-sm58-dynamic-vocal-microphone).
- 2 x guitar tuners ($35 each, available at www.patsmusic.com.au/product/fender-bullet-tuner).
- 10 x guitar strings ($23.99 each, available at www.patsmusic.com.au/product/daddario-ej27n-student-classical).
- 2 x music stands ($29.95 each, available at www.patsmusic.com.au/product/xtreme-ms75-music-stand).
- 20 x music stave books (80c each, available at www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/keji-a4-55gsm-12-stave-music-exercise-book-96-page-mcbka496).
- 10 x kickboards for swimming lessons ($15 each, available at www.kmart.com.au/product/adult-kickboard/1164829).
- 50 x exercise books (80c each, available at www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/keji-a4-55gsm-8mm-ruled-exercise-book-96-page-exbka496).
- 20 x headphones ($24.95 each, available at www.eduquip.com.au/audiovisualandbusiness.html or www.pacifichifi.com.au/products/koss-ur10).
100% of the money received by GIVIT for this project will be used to purchase items for Dunlea Centre. To donate, simply click the link, select the 'Where it's needed most' tile, then write 'Items for a residential secondary school for vulnerable young people' in the comments section.
Your generosity is incredibly important
Dunlea Centre relies on external funding to run these programs and are requesting a variety of items for education and everyday use.
These items and any donations made will make a difference to the learning and wellbeing of every young person at Dunlea Centre.
Bush to Sydney flights giving sick kids wings
This special organisation gets sick kids from the NSW bush to the big smoke for critical medical treatment.