The wellbeing spaces at this public high school in Canberra are in need of some T.L.C.
Your donations will help create a more inviting space for students seeking support
This Canberra high school is seeking support to spruce up its tired-looking youth health nurse's office, youth support space and common wellbeing room.
These spaces are the first point of contact for students going through a range of hardships and trauma due to domestic and family violence, mental health issues, homelessness, drug use, home carer roles, family unemployment, out-of-home care, and low social socioeconomic households.
Research from Beyond Blue states that one in seven young people aged 4-17 years old will experience a mental health condition in any given year. Headspace is reporting significant mental health impact to young people arising from the COVID pandemic.
You can help
This school is looking to update these spaces to make them more functional and friendly to create a more positive experience for students seeking support. Improving these rooms would show students that their concerns and wellbeing are a priority for the school. The list of items initially requested include:
- Artificial plants
- Water dispenser ($60)
- Kettles ($30)
- Art and craft supplies: Paints pens, paint, paper, glue etc for mindfulness activities.
- Sensory items ($10): Weighted soft toys, blankets, calming sensory activities and tools.
- Rugs (new or as new only): One large and two small floor rugs.
- Oil heaters
- Beanbag seats (new, $30)
- Art work ($30): Something for students to look at if they're uncomfortable making eye contact.
- Bar fridges ($400)
- Heating and cooling wall unit ($400)
- Roof panelling ($30 each): To repair holes and water damage to existing roofing.
- Ikea vouchers ($100): These will be used to furnish the space with lounges, chairs, desks, shelves, tables, curtains and storage.
Click here to see what's still needed.
You can donate money to purchase some of the above items by using the FUND button. Every little bit helps - from a $10 donation to buy a sensory toy, to $400 for a fridge/freezer, 100% of your donation received by GIVIT will be used to create a more welcoming space for teenagers in need.