NAIDOC Week an opportunity for celebration and reflection
As we recognise and celebrate NAIDOC Week and the First Peoples of Australia, it's an opportunity to acknowledge the impact of GIVIT's National Indigenous Support Program (NISP). Since launching NISP in 2019:
- We have matched and coordinated almost 70,000 donated items (50,000 in 2020 to November alone) with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities in need.
- We are working closely with more than 400 Indigenous support organisations. This figure has almost doubled since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Over 5,000 items are currently requested on our Indigenous Support Appeal, meaning generous donors can donate items of money to Indigenous people in need this NAIDOC Week.
Indigenous support is making a real difference all around Australia
Some examples of the difference that GIVIT's Indigenous program is making include:
- Struggling to get her kids to school without a car, a single mum received two new bikes so they could get to school on time and more safely than walking. The children's grades and overall health and fitness has improved.
- A single mum with two babies arrived at a hostel after fleeing domestic violence. Her 20-month-old baby had been released from hospital after surgery as a result of the father's abuse. She was really struggling with simple errands with a baby who had both legs in plaster. GIVIT provided her a double-pram, which has helped her immensely with everyday tasks.
- A family with 7 kids lost their house and all their belongings in a house fire. GIVIT immediately assisted with grocery and clothing vouchers. Once they were housed in new accommodation, GIVIT provided plenty of linen, a washing machine, toaster, cooking utensils and kitchen items.
- Homeless due to family violence, a teenager secured a safe new home but couldn’t afford basic items. GIVIT provided her a vacuum cleaner, crockery, cooking items and cutlery.
- An elderly woman suffering severe domestic violence injuries and couch surfing had just found a new home for herself. GIVIT provided a bed and linen, as she couldn’t afford household items and was sleeping on the bedroom floor.